Monday, March 23, 2009

let's take a peek inside the glutton hut

While few who have seen my sculpted physique would expect it, I am, in fact, a big fan of tasty food.

To share my epicurean inclination, I've been planning a new segment for this much-lauded beacon of adequacity. In each segment, I'll share one of the many saucy secrets my adventurous stomach has unearthed during my lifelong trek along the hungry highway. I'll try to mix in some recipes, but mostly this will be the better type of food: the type someone else makes for you while you sit there and . Hopefully, this will inspire you to put something new on your plate.

Before I get to our first entry, let me just put out a little plea. I'm not so sure about this segment name. What do you think? Do you have a suggestion to replace it? Let me know.

Ok, so let's start off slow. Kristie and I were looking to try something new in the kitchen last night. While we were shopping, I saw some wonton wrappers, so we decided to give em' a go. Here is the end result:



There was a bit of a learning curve, and we'll do a little tweaking with the filling next time, but all-in-all it was pretty tasty. One package makes 60 of these, so you should do one of the following in advance of making them.

1. Invite people to a party.
2. Invite yourself to someone else's party.
3. Have lots of kids.
4. Be super fat and at least a little hungry.
5. Enter a Bring-Your-Own Wonton eating competition.
6. Have a plastic bag to put leftover wrappers in, so you don't have to make them all at once.
7. Be really bad at folding won tons so you end up wasting a lot of them.

We went with #6, with a bit of #7. (No, not #4, jerk-faces.) To cook em' we pretty much just followed the directions on the package. You should do that.

Here is the recipe for the filling that I used.

1/2 lb Lean Ground Beef (we used really lean 4% and it was still good)
1 tsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Salt
1 tbs Mirin (white wine works, too)
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1/4 C Green Onion (finely chopped)
Dash white pepper
A couple shakes of ground ginger

Basically, just mix all this togehter in a bowl, and then dab out about a TBS in the middle of each wrapper. Fold them in half, and then pinch the wrappers closed.

I think it would have been better with a some finely chopped cabbage. We'll try that next time.

Here are a few more pictures. we made up some rice, and drizzled chili dim sum dipping sauce over the wontons.... mmmm.



2 comments:

banananutmeg said...

A few thoughts:
I'm fast.
Love a new recipe.
Love reading the way other people describe tasty food.
Still haven't tried Dim Sum.
Still not ready for food that follows under the "Asian cuisine" category. Maybe after Big Willy comes I'll give this a go.

Did you bake them? Fry them? Boil them?

I think glutton hut is about as appropriate of a name as one can get when describing good food.

-actually...depending on the TYPE of food..."a peek inside the glutton GUT" might end up being more appropriate should you choose to go the Krispy Kreme route with your next couple of food reviews. Nice post.

Mamarazzi said...

that looks yummy! did you boil them?

how about
"Scott vs Food"
"The Black Hole(all you can eat)"
"Awesome stuff you should eat"
"It-tastes-better-when-all-i-have- to-do-is-choose-something-off-of-a-menu-and-sip-a-soda-and-eat-complimentary-bread-while-and-wait-while-someone-else-makes-my-food, food"